http://www.seethegame.info WWW.SEETHEGAME.INFO
Promoting the game of underwater hockey (octopush) to develop a spectatorship

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 http://www.seethegame.info   seethegame banner ads

Fins - Fins... Flippers... Webbed Feet etc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
floater

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Fins - Fins... Flippers... Webbed Feet etc Reply with quote

ADMIN NOTE: Pics are used to provide a visual on the style of blade.... Newbies please note: Fin blades often come in two structures:
1. Buckled Shoe
2. Slipper Shoe
Although some of these pics are of buckled shoe fins.... On no occasion are buckled shoe fins allowed for the game of underwater hockey.... only slippered shoe fins are allowed to be worn.

Fin Test: There is also a Fin Test conducted by Diver Magazine - can be found here:
http://www.divernetxtra.com/gear/fins999/fins999.htm

ALA fins:

in my opinion, are very balanced, comfy, good for speed and good for acceleration. They are ok to turn and manouvre with as well. Its a shame they seem hard to come by.

Last edited by floater on Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:57 am; edited 5 times in total
wodger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mares Plana Avanti X3:

- seem to be a useful set of fins. Fairly stout for acceleration yet supple enough for turning and finning at speed.
Wodg
Plugus Maximus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Mares Avanti Quattro Powers Reply with quote

Mares Avanti Quattro Power Fins:

Finally I have managed to find and buy a new set of these glorious fins.

For years these have been the only fins worth buying yet they went out of production. The tres as mentioned above just don't cut the mustard ... too small and flimsey. The BOA shop doesn't even have any decent fins and I would say the lack of quality fins suited to our sport is so dire it hinders the performance of players. Imagine if Tiger Woods and all the rest could only get golf clubs made of bamboo ... it wouldn't stop people playing but it does reduce the quality of play.

Anyhow ... I got a new set of fins so I'm alright Jack!

PS: I've also heard Ala's get made in batches every few years. Is this true?

http://www.stalbansunderwaterhockey.co.uk/
jellybean

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ala Fins:

There are two types of ALAs! One is made of a grafite looking material and is more stiff than the other type which is made of rubber material and is noticeably softer.

My old fins were the grafite and I loved the power of the acceleration, but unfortunately the 'shoe' size was a little too large and they were a bit uncomfortable so I traded them in for a smaller 'shoe' size.......... this is when I noticed a difference.

The new ones were very much softer. It gives a very comfy fit, but the difference in fast acceleration from stand still, seems almost 50% less.

JB

atapene

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: alas Reply with quote

hi,

no, the alas are now completely out of production, the equipment has been dismantled in the factory and we wont be getting any more batches. i have this info from technisub themselves.

they used to make em outta rubber back in the day, then switched to a graphite/rubber mix, graphite for the blade and rubber for the foot pocket... there was little difference in performance but many fins ripped at the join of the materials. so they went back to all rubber black alas a few years back. and now they are no more.

definitely the fav for all players who prefer high cadence... best game fin allround as some others such as quattros and escapes may reach higher top speeds but alas agility, acceleration and turning is far superior.

best current substitute are the mares tres and yeah they aren't the best... however leader fins are bringing out underwater rugby/hockey fins which apparently are pretty good and hopefully if they are they'll become the new standard for uwh. they're made of fibreglass.

hope that was informative.
bethany

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have found the Fin Test!!

It was conducted by the Diver Magazine in 1999 and gives a comparison of many fins around at the time - still are - and is interesting for underwater hockey as well as just diving or snorkelling:

link is here: http://www.divernetxtra.com/gear/fins999/fins999.htm

Bethany
Burningdiver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When deciding on your fins, what does the softness bit mean. I have found the fins i want to buy, but they give an option of 'softness' ranging from soft to extra hard, any idea what i should think about before i should make my choice?
SVHA73

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a new fin.
Aqualung Express FP

Does anybody have any experiance with this type fin?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.SEETHEGAME.INFO Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: