http://www.seethegame.info WWW.SEETHEGAME.INFO
Promoting the game of underwater hockey (octopush) to develop a spectatorship

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 http://www.seethegame.info   seethegame banner ads

Same sex? Mixed sexes? ... In a team I mean.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.SEETHEGAME.INFO Forum Index -> Newbies Enquiries
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Same sex? Mixed sexes? ... In a team I mean. Reply with quote

What is the score regarding underwater hockey teams being made up of mixed sexes?

For instance, if a team is made up males & females, men-folk & women-folk, mermaids & mer'butlers' (I think I may have made the last one up), but on with the question.....
Does it have to be the same difference on each team. Are the girls at the front and the guys at the back. How does this work?

Regards, Tony
loser

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not matter, either sex can play anywhere, usually find the girls are just as able in relation to reading the game etc, however when it comes to some of the physical stuff they suffer alittle.

The womens game is much more compact, tight and is very structured, usually full of short passing, skill work, light contact. Where the mens games are all full of power, speed, big passes and very much more open however its much more physically demanding.

The context of mixed men with women in the same team can work, however it is not seen as often at higher levels of the game. specifically at national club and international level.

The game has moved forward in attitudes especially over the past 10 years. This sport also suffered with male dominated attitudes, some of the better players especially in the early 1990's beleived women should not be playing. It is only recently the game has seen women accepted by teams to play at the highest club levels. So the game is changing and evolving in many ways.

Whether this is a reflexion on women becoming better players or whether it is weakness in terms of good quality males, it remains to be establish.

However there is of cause the old chest nut of womens rights and equality. I think the girls have it pretty good, they get to play for all and everyone. Plenty of game time and yes they can play hockey to good standards, back, forward, middle and front.

Last edited by loser on Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Thanks. Look forward to seeing more on Video / TV etc. I would think as soon as it can be observed - recorded and observed - then attitudes are usually brought into line a little.

From the video (the club play sample video) on the seethegame.info website, it is clear that the male passes and the female passes are just as acurate in relation to placement and timing (I'm refferring to the 'Attack' section of the little video).

Thanks again
Tony
puckoff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Club play when it is all guys, usually escalates to a game of strength (push throughs etc) as well as skill play. Club play when mixed usually has refinement added to it and skilled moves and strategy predominate.

In club play for both girls and guys there is (usually) a great realisation that it is a team game and there is an awareness of where should be and where 'others' should be.
I've never played on a 'just girls' team (tried a few times Wink ), but have witnessed them and they (when its working) work as a team, just about as neat as can be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.SEETHEGAME.INFO Forum Index -> Newbies Enquiries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: