http://www.seethegame.info WWW.SEETHEGAME.INFO
Promoting the game of underwater hockey (octopush) to develop a spectatorship

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 http://www.seethegame.info   seethegame banner ads

newbies are protected players - how to identify

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.SEETHEGAME.INFO Forum Index -> Newbies Enquiries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melanie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: newbies are protected players - how to identify Reply with quote

Identifying a newbie in the water is beneficial. It allows the seasoned players to recognise the newbie and so not tackle so quickly or so enthusiastically as would another seasoned player.

Its hard enough to recognise anyone when they are in full kit - if you all meet in the pub after, a newbie may not immediately recognise who else was in the water at all (as they have their clothes on, and no mask, snorkle and hat to disquise them as boggle eyed underwater nutters).

So far we know this:
In the Netherlands the newbie player gets a green hat (seasoned players wear black/blue or white hats).
In the UK they get an orange pusher stick (seasoned players use black or white pusher sticks).

image courtesy of djoekster

mel

Last edited by melanie on Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
S.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only in Tilburg in the south off the Netherlands newbees get to wear green hads and another colour cluff. Most off the teams in the Netherlands dont have any specialy stuff for the newbees. Sad

PS i made that picture. It was easy to place her because it also was placed on the djoekster forum in TIlburg.

The discussion why i can protect the reasons for the dissision for the hads and cloves.

Reason 1. Why not the sticks/pushers
Simpley. By using the same stick/pushers as all the other players they can try differend sticks from different players. All the players in TIlburg have there own model stick/pusher.

Reason2. Why caps an cloves
Because i train the players to look not only to the puck or stick off the other players. But look to the game around them and to the players always. Body langaues tells much off what an player want to do.
melanie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of your mentioned reasons...to try out players individual design pusher sticks and to encourage looking around and not specifically to the colour of the pushers, are great reasons for the benefits of hat n glove identification.

PS the pic is labelled with courtesy of owner and the link is still direct to source. It was left here as a ghost when we moved the original thread (photos - dutch players training) to the 'banter... underwater hockey discussion' forum, found further down the boards

I hope others follow with the hat n glove reasoning as seems helpful. To get equipment is often very difficult, so would wish all clubs good fortune.... and worthy spending Wink

mel
Gary Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i never knew this perhaps we can implement this into our session? orange sticks for new players...........

Previously we have got them to come in play and then smash um up. normal style of play am afraid maybe a worning stick will help to break this up.

thank you very much for this information,

very useful
S.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Gary

You like the idee off coloured stick/pushers, what do you think about the reasons i told why we give newbees green caps en contrasting cloves. And not differend coloured sticks/pushers

it is easy to find them in a game.

jellybean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, smashed up newbies is perhaps psycho-sport for the more sad-n-needy, rather than any true sportsmanship. Not good.

The orange pushers are in direct visual view to play on the puck - there is never a time that an orange pusher gets bashed (without full observation by all else in the water) - so it works.

The idea of the glove (which would have similar effect of orange pusher) is good as it does then allow the newbie (as has been mentioned) to try other real pusher sticks out

The idea of the green (any different colour) hat is a great idea (again has been mentioned) that it makes you look at the surrounding picture and not just the puck and pushing/working area - after all the game is bigger than just where the puck is - it is working out where it is likely to go and to whom it may go, then trying to counter these moves so your own team has the advantage etc etc - to be made to lokk up and look around is positive.

Quote:

My conclusion: (I know youve been longing for this piece of wisdom Wink )
1. ....unique colour hat and glove and an orange pusher - for all newby newbies.
2. ....unique colour hat and glove and ordinary pusher (try out other players preferences) - for all not so newby newbies.

At first all the newby can do is get down connect and push (hopefully in the right direction) so with orange pusher - just a plain 2D flat faced pusher with a hook is sufficient - (these can be used anyway up so will work for left or right handed newby-newbies) (I,ve just invented that idea - I do suprise myself sometimes) - anyway ..... and all players know to let them go or not mark their own player that is sitting alaong side to be passed too.

.....Then, after maybe a few weeks, no orange pusher. Then, when it is seen (still got hat n glove on) that the newbie has a proper pusher, then they will be up to the stage where other players can go and ''spar'' with them - not shatter their confidence, but make them turn (or they will loose the puck), make them pass (or they will loose the puck), let them go past you, if they do a dummy and it seems a good effort etc etc etc (etc).

JB

gary gordon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its only way i can get a touch of the puck, if i and my friend smash the new players........

only joking not really..........

I think whet you need to think of is development of the game, is it upto the player \ newbie to decide when they can get rid of the green cap and orange bat?

hummmm interesting cause the player might think he or she is good, or better than they really are....... urmmmmm unlikely tho cause most players are so level headed and never get carried away about their abilities......

whet ever you think?

Gary G
S.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green cap. Yes when a player get rid of it. 2 things is in order to that disision.

1. The trainers think that the player can play like the other players without that form off protection.
2.The player must want get rid of that protection.

But that is not the final step. The player keeps his protected clove for a longer time. Without the protection of the green cap, players can see that it is not a alround player yet. But also not an newbee anymore.
Quote:

just a plain 2D flat faced pusher with a hook is sufficient

An problem we in Tilburg have only 3d sticks. Like you can see on the photo i earlyer posted off some left handed sticks/pushers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.SEETHEGAME.INFO Forum Index -> Newbies Enquiries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: