http://www.seethegame.info WWW.SEETHEGAME.INFO
Promoting the game of underwater hockey (octopush) to develop a spectatorship

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 http://www.seethegame.info   seethegame banner ads

How long to hold your breath?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.SEETHEGAME.INFO Forum Index -> Newbies Enquiries
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: How long to hold your breath? Reply with quote

How do you work out how long you hold your breath for. Do the forwards do more than the backs. who decides and who holds the stop watch (if needed).
Can you really see if you turn blue underwater?!

Chris Turner, London
natalie
Ravishing Reporter

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no stop watch is needed! theres no limit - no max and no minimum needed in the rules.

length of time needed depends on how the team is getting their timing right.
the puck is always on the bottom of the pool - the air is always on the top of the pool - you time it right so you arrive when needed and do your bit to get the puck up the end of the pool and into the goal (gulley).

you may be down for a few seconds, you may get a break and have a clear run to goal - full speed till you score if poss.

i dont think it is a sport where you have to hold your breath for ages (like you do for free-diving). I think it is a sport where you have to be able to recover at the surface so you are not puffing too much and are able to get down in the play again.

a sprint for goal, isnt neccessarily long time - maybe 10 to 15 seconds, but it is full on.
In defence, you may have to stay down and keep the attackers from getting past or keep possession until you are able to pass to a team member - in this case, it is more gentle, but perhaps up to 30 seconds may be needed.

these times for breath hold are not long times - but it is a fast game, so recovery and participation on the bottom of the pool. This can be made effient by judgement of timing and understanding your team-mates and the team strategy.

understanding the team-mates is an art in itself! Wink

natalie
wodger

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, would agree. It is quick recovery time and ability to continue full-on play whilst continually grabbing breath holds to get down into play.
Not great lengths of time, but as often as needed for the team interaction.

Your team mates should be there to pass to. So timing, team work, tis fun too!........................ where have I heard that before??? Shocked

W
atapene

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5-10 seconds is pretty average... pretty rarely go beyond 10-15 seconds at a time.

20 seconds is a long time... longer than that, and you're being lazy. haha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats very interesting onfo. In my mind I presummed it needed huge ability to hold breath, just because of the thinking it is underwater, but now with the knowledge of the up and down teamwork bit, I can see that the 10 - 15 seconds makes sense.

Can see it clearly with the critter cam video on the website. Great idea. Love some more, thanks.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOOhhhhhh Yeh. The critter cam bit shows that length of time underwater is not very long and varies depending if needed or not. Sometimes the player has something to do - to tackle or to pass - and others it a bob down, then a bob up again. The other players are doing the same. It gives a great view of the timing and the work done (would be done if I was the one actually going down instead of riding on the shoulder of the player!!!
Really good view point, Thanks for video.

Shelly Taylor
Sauseda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
OOOOOhhhhhh Yeh. The critter cam bit shows that length of time underwater is not very long and varies depending if needed or not. Sometimes the player has something to do - to tackle or to pass - and others it a bob down, then a bob up again. The other players are doing the same. It gives a great view of the timing and the work done (would be done if I was the one actually going down instead of riding on the shoulder of the player!!!
Really good view point, Thanks for video.

Shelly Taylor

Great point of view indeed. You can really see what's going on and who is doing what.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.SEETHEGAME.INFO Forum Index -> Newbies Enquiries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: