http://www.seethegame.info WWW.SEETHEGAME.INFO
Promoting the game of underwater hockey (octopush) to develop a spectatorship

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 http://www.seethegame.info   seethegame banner ads

Are there any medical limitations to play the game?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.SEETHEGAME.INFO Forum Index -> Newbies Enquiries
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Are there any medical limitations to play the game? Reply with quote

I wondered if there are any medical restraints that would disallow someone from playing underwater hockey. I know in diving, if you have perforated your eardrum before, then afterwards you probably arn't allowed to participate.

Thank you.
Arrow Lucy
loser

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not come across a situation where an individual is not allowed to take part because of medical implications.

It is usually left to self assessment. I know a couple of guys who over the years have suffered with perforated eardrum, these guys decided themselves not to swim, others would have prefered for them to take part. We also have a couple of guys who have heart conditions, not sure what exactly but it is left to them to decide if they are feeling well enough and to know their own limitation.

As far as i know there is no disqualification from playing the game on medical grounds. The game is a fun sport, its there to be played and for individuals to make up their own minds. Self assess their own abilities in relation to their condition.
floater

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabies is a bit of problem - the sport being to do with water and all that, but this is rare (at club level anyway).

One does needs a head and a chin - this is really because the hats themselves are compulsory items to wear in order protect the ears... and one needs a head to place the hat on and a chin underwhich the hat tie may be fastened to hold it in place.

Well, perhaps not really mainstream medical conditions - of course. Wink

I do however also know of someone with a heart condition that plays a good game to no ill effect.
In fact, the only true medical condition I have witnessed in 10/12 years playing at club level is - palpatations and fainting - but this only happens to certain players and always occurs at the pub before their round!.

I would think, like most club level sports, it is a matter of self assessment - it should be mentioned as a reassurance (if you havnt despared at my post already) that at club level, players play the game to their level of fitness (and this is far ranging) - It is only if someone fancies going onto to higher competitions that fitness and medical conditions may affect being able - or indeed actually being allowed to compete.
At club level it can be just for fun or can be up to quite a high level of skill.

I would always seriously recommend 'having a go at the game itself' to all ages and all fitness levels. Then, as is usual in any club, see whether you feel happy with what THAT club is doing.... it may be tooo slow, it may be tooo fast and competitive......

......BUT the game itself is a great for:
fitness
healthy activity
fun
team oriented activity

F

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks L .. yes self assessment, I see the logic
Thanks F .. off for rabies check. Am sure head n chin are secure.

Thankyou
Arrow Lucy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.SEETHEGAME.INFO Forum Index -> Newbies Enquiries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: