http://www.seethegame.info WWW.SEETHEGAME.INFO
Promoting the game of underwater hockey (octopush) to develop a spectatorship

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 http://www.seethegame.info   seethegame banner ads

Playing 2 handed? (left/right handed pushers)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Playing 2 handed? (left/right handed pushers) Reply with quote

Does anybody has any experiments playing with 2 hands with 1 stick. As trainer I must often play with my other hand to let see how an move is done in training. Is it useful to use that skill in the play during a game. What sort of stick is the best in that case? Are there sticks were you can play 2 handed whit?

I hope somebody can tell me more about this maybe with some tips and maybe does he or she now more about that sort off sticks?
jellybean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. B. C. D. E.

Thought about this as we have left handed players in our team..... Two probs came to mind for the design...

1.The handle is usually indented at the bottom, so the knuckles can reach under whilst keeping the pusher low to the ground..... this would have to be indented on the top as well if to be used both ways up. This would make the handle thin or the pusher blade fat. (see pics A & B)

2.The leading edge of the pusher is usually angled, to give lifting action to the puck for a high flick..... this would have to be flat (vertical/no angle), if it were to be the same both ways up. (see pics C,D & E)

Both these would be OK for a basic shape pusher for a very new newbie (just to push and pull the puck, but I dont think good for a seasoned player.... cus you need the angled face in order to lift a flicked puck.

JB.

S.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an option. But i meant speciale 1 stick that you can take over during the game from right tot left or from left to right. As you can see (those are not al the sorts of sticks i made) we have in Tilburg left and right sticks. We are trying to make an stick that you can give to the other hand during the game without the weakpoint normal sticks give on that point.

I try one model past zaterday. It was very promising. And the opponents were not very happy. I remembert that on a englisch site (i dont now anymore with) that that sort of stick was made airlyer but was not succesfully.

I can not yet give an picture of that stick. we are making it right now from a 2D stick to are typicaly Tilburg Stick in 3D
Tuck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. wrote:
It is an option. But i meant speciale 1 stick that you can take over during the game from right tot left or from left to right. As you can see (those are not al the sorts of sticks i made) we have in Tilburg left and right sticks. We are trying to make an stick that you can give to the other hand during the game without the weakpoint normal sticks give on that point.

My left hand is worthless so i stopped trying to do this years ago. but looking at the thread you have all of you're urethane sticks pictured. There is a thin black on in the lower left corner, in the photo of all the sticks in a circle. looks like it came from the US, a "fishstix" from John Fisher. That is the same style I used in '98.

If it is a copy of the smaller fishstix the blade and handle are already nearly the same size and shape. Just make one end a lefty blade the other end a righty blade. The key is getting comfortable with a short thin stick.
S.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuck wrote:
S. wrote:

My left hand is worthless so i stopped trying to do this years ago. but looking at the thread you have all of you're urethane sticks pictured. There is a thin black on in the lower left corner, in the photo of all the sticks in a circle. looks like it came from the US, a "fishstix" from John Fisher. That is the same style I used in '98.

If it is a copy of the smaller fishstix the blade and handle are already nearly the same size and shape. Just make one end a lefty blade the other end a righty blade. The key is getting comfortable with a short thin stick.

I dont now if it is an copy of the fishstick. That stick we have made a pair for somebody out off Heemstede in the north off the netherlands. On the picture there are not all off the sticks we have made.

But i now what you mean but we have done it with an model we design off our own. Instead off you i play very good with both hands. THe stick we have made was very good. (the opponents think otherwise) In the futher i will show a photo off that stick. The question was pure for if somebody here had some expirients with playing 2handed in a game. And how by them the stick looks. You say a stick without an hook, the stick we made did have an hook. And hold pretty good in your hand.
S.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An stick that is very easy to chance from hand during a game. The first model made by me in this way. Now i now what can be better and can i design an compleet line off these sticks
jellybean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great piece of innovative design (we like innovation!). From the top (as you have shown in your picture), you can clearly see the two sides and the function of the whole product looks like it would work.

What about the underside? If one side is used as a blade, the bottom of the blade is flat, where as the bottom of the handle is usually arched to allow knuckles to fold under and therefore the pusher to remain at a gentle slope.

If your blades are slightly shorter than the typical then this sloping would be even more problematic - or just something to get used to, for the benefits of playing with both hands, maybe?

this photo shows my pusher as seen from the front. You can see the arch on the left (the handle) and the low flat bottom of the blade (on the right):

Maybe the your design has beneifits and hinderences - but they are unique and great experimental concepts that will catch on, I'm sure.

OUR DESIGN - ProfPuckits' NumChuks'
1. Shows right handed use (and space for knuckles with blade flat for flicks).
2. Shows that rollover changes it from right/left handed use
3. Shows left handed use (and space for knuckles with blade flat for flicks).

1. 2. 3.

This design gives space for knuckles with blade flat for flicks. The blade being flat, means that the front edge can have an angle and the blade will meet the puck very low down, so get under the puck near the hand held end.

JB

Last edited by jellybean on Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
S.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed with the normal way off playing and the ussally gloves it is not as fine to play. The normal gloves are to thick ad the end off the fingers. The gloves we self make (yes that we do also) are thinner. So the stick is without doing something about the stick closer to the bottum off the pool.

The stick it self , the blade is not shorter then the stick we made it from. So the few players that maybe can play like me with 2hand now how the stick moves and flick in the game.

This is the first off an serie. Now we now how it can work. Even some skills to train it easy we devolved/made. Now the next step is onother stick that is good for defenders.
S.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jellybean wrote:

Maybe the your design has beneifits and hinderences - but they are unique and great experimental concepts that will catch on, I'm sure.

OUR DESIGN
1. Shows right handed use (and space for knuckles with blade flat for flicks).
2. Shows that rollover changes it from right/left handed use
3. Shows left handed use (and space for knuckles with blade flat for flicks).

1. 2. 3.

JB

Also an good design. but 1 thing we early found out is that by the normal stick ,when giving the stick to the other hand. Then it was a week point in the battle by the puck. You lose the stick when the opponent strikes that time. Thats why the hook is in the same side by our design. The one hand just let go if the other hand have a good grip on the stick. iff you must roll over with the stick that week point is back. On that point you can lose the stick.
loser

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Equipment is everything, without it you cant do anything, and with it unless you know how to apply it your still in the same boat! Laughing

Yellow is bright and catching, and could be the cog in the wheel, but if the wheel does not turn, its likely your stranded...... Laughing

but its all good fun.

When and if it happens... should you find your stuck and your lucky enough to have some instructions either verbal or written it might help you to reapply memory recall techniques of how to use equipment or visualise others in certain situations. Should you be able to do this then you can share your knowledge with the correct people. Smile

If you manage to share the information with the correct people without some form of bais influence, with is undamaging and healing then you will unlock the situation and be able to use the equipment to its full potential.

Goodluck in failure............. Twisted Evil

its doing the right thing through a very peaceful method of persuasion

Confused
S.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When and if it happens... should you find your stuck and your lucky enough to have some instructions either verbal or written it might help you to reapply memory recall techniques of how to use equipment or visualise others in certain situations. Should you be able to do this then you can share your knowledge with the correct people.

If you manage to share the information with the correct people without some form of bais influence, with is undamaging and healing then you will unlock the situation and be able to use the equipment to its full potential.

Goodluck in failure.............

TO begin with your last remarks. We have the strange habbit to NOT to fail. the 10 years we play underwaterhockey we did everything on our self. (we did not have any help. We get used to find out everything for ourself. Faiulure is not a option!

I and my brother are also the people in the netherlands for sharing al kinds off information.(it is our function as underwaterhockey consultants in the Netherlands) We share information about Technick/tactic/equipment in use. And we have everything on paper. No technic and basic skills are lost by this way. It is also easy to share it that way.

It is also something we are now already are doing with the 2handed stick. First test it our self. Then test it with a greating group off people (We/ a Netherlands master player/Belgium/phillipinos) Write everything down. Incl some ways to train and how to use the stick and some technick. Including some photos underwater how to use it.

Your remarks about get it to the correct people. NO your wrong. Getting it to the new people. Share it with new clubs. The higher clubs and players have the strangs habbit to reject everything new. But they are happy not to play against me next year when i will use it in the competition. The photo is the "standard 2 handed stick" we devolphed a new 2 handed stick after testing and training for 12 weeks with it.The same basic the standard is already a good stick. But as midfield or defender we need another model of it. That model is already in testing.

It is a good stick and idee when you now how to use it. And when you are open to new ways off playing and thinking. But not all players can play 2handed. A'm in real live always been 2 handed so for me its easy. As trainer i show thing left and right so it is easy. The players that can play 2 handed are mostly left handed players. Keep that in mind.
loser

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see you really work hard for the good of the sport. Its likely that you are one of the good guys of underwater hockey and would like everyone and all people regardless of outside issues or personnal differences to benefit from the game. Also for the game to benefit from a wider circle of people, i.e. involvement within the game.

For those that wish to continue with denying the game, and they are aware who they are, i look forward to speaking to you soon, and remember if you havent got the key...............

you cant unlock it......... and that will be very frustrating but at least you will be able to put yourself in someone elses shoes and know what it feels like to be stuck. Laughing

but its not crimminally damaging...... it will not hurt or harm just tickle the mind Laughing

mental Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.SEETHEGAME.INFO Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: